Thursday, June 4, 2009

TWO FLATS AND A DOLLAR BILL

Yesterday I went road riding with Al and Patrick, starting from his house out in the country near
the Skow House.  All went well to the Cold Spring Bakery where P. bought a dozen date filled oatmeal cookies, which were excellent by the way with a fresh soft googy center.  But outside of
Cold Spring my rear tire exploded--WHOOSH, thump, thump, thump.  I took the rear wheel off but didn't see what was wrong.  P. quickly took the tire off and he looked at it.  Hmmm.  He put in the tube and put the tire on using hands only.  I don't know how to do this, well, I know in theory
how to do it, but my little weak thumbs are not strong enough.  I need to use those plastic Park
Tool things.  OK, on  our way.  At the top of the Alp WHOOSH, thump, etc. you get the idea.
WTF?  Now Al is pissed and carefully looks at the tire (after P. again has done his thing) and
he (Al that is) finds a hole in the sidewall!  Now what?  I remember Anderson putting in a 5 dollar bill, but I figure the one dollar bill will do the trick.  You put it between the tube and the tire where there is a hole.  So P. does this, and I carefully ride back to P's house no problem.
The Moral:  Always carry a one dollar bill!  (Well, a 5 or a 10 or a 100 would work too).

1 comment:

Kyia said...

Sweet, breaking more stuff!!